Words can change the world – Annual Young Writers Contest
Sponsored by The Prairie Wind Writing Centre
Words can change the world
Categories, Guidelines & Prizes
You may write a story, an essay, a poem, or submit something that is creative but doesn’t fit the other three categories. Entry is free! All entries will be judged on originality and style, including grammar and spelling.
A short story must be no longer than 1,500 words.
Poems must be no longer than 36 lines Write your poem in any form
(sonnet, ode, haiku, free-style, etc).
Essays must be no longer than 1,000 words, but can be either a ‘persuasive’ or an ‘informative’ essay.
Creative writing submissions must be no longer than 1,000 words and may include images. Submitted posters, graphics, or photos will not be returned.
Prizes: $150 gift certificate in each category.
Rules for Entrants
- Entrants must be enrolled in school and within the defined age range.
- All submissions must be the author’s original work and unpublished elsewhere.
- The competition is limited to one submission per contestant.
- The author’s name must not appear anywhere on the submission. Instead, the submission should be identified below the title by the distinct registration number found on the bottom of the individual’s registration form.
- Submissions should be typed and double spaced on 8½ x 11″ pages, complete with page numbers, if multiple pages are required.
- Authors should include an original title representing the subject of the submission.
- Do not illustrate your story, poem, or essay. Submissions for the creative writing category may include an image or graphic.
- All entries must be submitted by the designated date.
- Entries will neither be returned to the authors, nor critiqued for the authors.
- Please keep a duplicate personal copy of your original submission.
- The authors with retain full ownership of their submissions to this contest, and no one other than the author may use any of the written material without the expressed written permission of the author.